Monday, July 19, 2010

Hero Worship

How many letters of recommendation have I written? Who the fuck knows. A lot. How many letters have I written for my hero? One. I just wrote it. When I’ve written such letters in the past for people considerably more “senior/accomplished” than me it’s always been in the context of me serving the role as the more “junior/newbie” letter writer. Know what I mean? I’ve always been expected to attest to their skills as a mentor/professor/leader from the perspective of a young ‘un. But this time was different. I mean, shit, this dude is my hero. I’m actually flattered to have the chance to flatter him and by “flattered” I mean “fuck yeah go me!” I’m a jerk like that. One minute I’m reminiscing about how awesome someone else is, how grateful I am to know them…and then, poof, I’m waxing philosophical about how fancy and tenured I am.

9 comments:

  1. Are you saying you're your own hero? That's so... after-school-special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, I'm walkin on air. I never thought I could feel so free-ee-ee.
    :P
    jc

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always laugh my fucking ass off when I read those kind of letters that are 90% about how fucking awesome the letter writer is "My lab is extremely well funded and contains approximately one dozen post-docs working on an extremely varied and diverse interdisciplinary research program that has made major advances in the study of toenail fungus and its eradication. In the context of this extremely productive and competitive highly challenging intellectual environment, Dr. Whatthefuckshername is near the top of the incredibly talented and accomplished group of post-docs in my lab who publish papers in Science, Nature, and Cell regularly."

    This is what I call the "Wow! After years of yoga, I finally managed to suck my own dick!" letter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, hold on there Comrade. I kept my dick out of the letter in favor of sucking it here in blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But your dick can't be stuck to the ground with a rusty nail. That makes yoga difficult, I suppose, sucking would be damn near impossible, I'm sure.
    jc

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ARE fancy and tenured! So do you got your crackers on? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got my crackers on and my drink!

    ReplyDelete