Monday, January 26, 2009

Keyword:

I just finished reading your paper for class. I detected something was a little off since page one. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. Your writing is alright, some problems, but nothing too serious. Your ideas and citations, hmm…they have me baffled. Where did you find this whack shit? I was confused; I certainly did not teach you this. I decided to investigate. I took the most obvious word I could think of regarding your topic. You clearly know what that word is (at least we are in agreement on that). I typed it into the most obvious database available through our library (oh, we agree on what that is too). The references that appear on page one are identical to your bibliography. Which is kind of funny really. There is some whack shit out there! It contains what are likely the exact references that some student in a completely different department writing a completely different paper has been looking for. Think about that keyword…it could mean other things couldn’t it? Relate to issues far outside of your paper- yes? This is not good. No wonder you paper is so strange. It is based on 15 abstracts, many of which have no relevance to your topic. Your professors spend a lot of time on these journal databases too (we are searching for ourselves under various keywords and reading the latest issue of Plow Science). Refrain from doing this again.

8 comments:

  1. Aha! This should be copyrighted, because otherwise? It's going to become an attachment to all graded papers being returned. Although Plow Science is not my fav journal - I rely on the inspiring prose available through Pew Studies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. No, on your site meter you may notice a referral or two from my blog. That is because you have earned a Major Award: http://cliobluestockingtales.blogspot.com/2009/01/major-award.html. I hope that is o.k. because, you know, stardom is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stardom, indeed. I am here from Clio and I am totally into this blog (in a non-creepy, not stalking-sort-of-way).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the kind words and awards, I will be sure to let them all go to my head.

    GayProf: A cyber-toast of Palmers to you! (insert glass clinking sounds here)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having gone through this experience (the finding of the whackness) too many times, I applaud your rendition. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading this post reminded me that I'm currently reading If on a winter's night a traveler.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sad thing is that the instructor may well have spent more time reading, investigating and responding to the paper than the student did writing it. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, students can be so retarded. I have to wonder if they think they're actually going to get away with these things.

    ReplyDelete